Improving the Quality of Research
Reproducible research is a critical issue facing the life sciences community. An all too common contributor in biomedical research is the widespread use of misidentified or contaminated cell lines, reported to range from 15% to 36%. GBSI’s recent cell authentication survey documents the scope of the problem. STR profiling represents a compelling and low cost solution.
What is the Cell Authentication Alliance?
The Alliance brings together a diverse set of committed stakeholders with the sole purpose of making routine cell line authentication standard practice as part of quality biomedical research. GBSI facilitates the work of the Alliance and through #authenticate, our periodic e-newsletter, shares the progress and innovations of Alliance members and the broader research community towards achieving these goals:
- Increased use of cell authentication so that contaminant-free cell lines are used in research
- Required documentation of cell authentication for publication in journals
- Improved training for all researchers on best practices for cell authentication
- Greater investment in new technologies to develop novel tools for cell authentication
GBSI’s #authenticate Campaign put a spotlight on the importance of cell line authentication as standard practice for high quality preclinical research. In early 2015, GBSI launched #authenticate, a first-of-its kind awareness and activation campaign to engage key stakeholders around the powerful role cell line authentication plays in research reproducibility and fidelity. Importantly, #authenticate provided opportunities for the scientific community to get involved, demonstrate support, and help tell the story. The Campaign engaged researchers, funders, journals, societies, industry leaders, and others. In response to to heightened awareness, the National Institutes of Health and other funders are beginning to incorporate cell line authentication into their grant application review process, and Nature and other peer-reviewed journals have expanded their cell authentication recommendations. #authenticate raised the bar and the Alliance takes it to the next level.
- Global Biological Standards Institute
- Allen Institute
- Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities
- Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University
- CellBank Australia
- Children’s Medical Research Institute
- Chordoma Foundation
- Endeavour DNA Labs
- Genetica Cell Line Testing
- International Cell Line Testing Authentication Committee
- Melanoma Research Alliance
- Nemours Children’s Health System
- Prostate Cancer Foundation
- Rare Cancer Research Foundation
- Susan G. Komen